Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: 511E vs. 311-90

  1. #11
    Inactive Member chip_junior's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    There are a number of documented mistakes in Altec lit...usually dimensions..


    Note the A is shown as huge too...8" taller than a B...

    Here is an interesting pic...looks like a cut off and welded on flange to me...
    Oh, just interestingly found out my horns is here.

    I'll provide some more information about these511E vs 511B and comparing to 311-60 tonight.

    I've also did some measurement on the frequency response of the 511E with the original 288D too.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member chip_junior's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mac View Post
    I have both. The 511E's I have, have the original dark grey color, aquaplas coating and original stickers with serial numbers on them. They are nothing more than modified 511A/Bs...trust me... I have viewed the catalog you referred to that intimates larger size... but until someone has a set and can provide incontrovertible proof....I'm convinced the catalog is garbage.
    I totally agree with Steve, who also have both 511E and 511B. To me, 511E would be a modification of the 511A/B series.

    Cause they are just a modification, they just cut the throat shorter, solder the bigger mouting flange, add some alquaplas and that's all.

    My 511E pair have 2 horns made in different time and they also showed some interesting difference! However, both of the having the same size and also the same size with the 511B except the shorter and bigger throat.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member chip_junior's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    If you go to Altec Pro which is still up, and look at the PDF's...

    The PDF labeled 511A states 500 HZ cutoff.

    The 311-90 PDF states 220 Hz cutoff.
    I don't understand and don't believe that Altec innocent enough to cross their horn at it's cut-off frequency (as with the A7-500 with N500 cross) in case the public 500Hz cutoff of the 511A horn is correct.

    Looking at how they named their horn, which all horn have cutoff frequency lower than the nominal lowest working frequency of the horn, we have ground to believe that the 511A/B horn should have lower cutoff frequency than 500Hz.

    Of course, 511 can not be compared to 311 cause the first number has already show their norminal working frequency already.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    511E vs. 311-90


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by chip_junior View Post
    I don't understand and don't believe that Altec innocent enough to cross their horn at it's cut-off frequency (as with the A7-500 with N500 cross) in case the public 500Hz cutoff of the 511A horn is correct.

    Looking at how they named their horn, which all horn have cutoff frequency lower than the nominal lowest working frequency of the horn, we have ground to believe that the 511A/B horn should have lower cutoff frequency than 500Hz.

    Of course, 511 can not be compared to 311 cause the first number has already show their norminal working frequency already.

    Can't argue with that logic...I was more trying to show that anybody who states 511E and 311 have the same specs is a liar or a fool...

    I would suspect the 511's cutoff to be between 400-500, I could calculate it but am too lazy. At my age you pick your battles.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #15
    HB Super Moderator
    511E vs. 311-90


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    At my age you pick your battles.
    But still sharp as a tack Thank You !!!!!

  6. #16
    Inactive Member chip_junior's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 511E vs. 311-90

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I would suspect the 511's cutoff to be between 400-500, I could calculate it but am too lazy. At my age you pick your battles.
    I've done some basic frequency response measurement for the 511E with 288D driver using RadioShack dB meter. It look like that the 511E might not be suitable to be crossed above 750-800Hz.

    Here is the picture showing that the horn start to be rolled-off below 800Hz. The 511E+288D combo was actively crossed at 450Hz-LR24 and 8.5kHz-LR12.

    8

    Look at the response, I think the 511E properly has higher cut-off frequency than the 511B due to having shorter throat as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.